It's early morning and I am pacing up and down the aisles of the convenience store in the neighborhood trying to locate the stationery section. A middle aged African American lady hobbles towards me. "You act like you feelin' cold" says she.
"It's quite chilly in here, madam" I reply
"You mus' be from Sahara or some other planet coz it ain't chilly yet- where d'you come from anyways?"
"Kenya, it's a country in..." I try to explain but peering she interrupts,
"I know Kenya, at least I dated a man fom Kenya back in the day" she says still with that suspicious look- "In fact, you look just like him, only a little thinner." I frown at that unflattering description and ask her what happened with him. She chuckles and placing one hand on my arm she says "He ran away." I try to make light of the situation by reminding her that "running" is what Kenyans are famous for. We are constanly running away from spouses, girlfriends, school, lions and I even seem to remember a certain Kenyan who ran for presidency in the US.. and won!
Popular Posts
-
Three score years and ten we were given as it is in the ninetieth psalm written but paradise couldn't wait to have you flew away before ...
-
To my esteemed readers, With finals set for next week, I have found myself literary pitching camp in a dunk library. I have even acquired...
-
Art is one of those subjects you can't fully define and yet you can easily recognize when you see. The history of Art starts right at cr...
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment